73 Questions With Actor, Jared Nigro
Does art imitate life? Or does life imitate art? For Jared Nigro, his life is his art. His latest production, Mouthful of Nothing is a humorous, yet poignant look at what it means to live, to learn, and to love when you’re not entirely sure what you’re doing… Jared may have intended to write a one man show, but his beautifully acted play brings a much more universal story to life. Take a look behind the scenes, with our friend and curious wanderer – here are 73 Questions with Jared Nigro.
1. First thing you did today?
2. Coolest thing about being an actor?
Making a costume for new human being.
3. Worst thing about being an actor?
4. If you could switch lives with a person for one day, who would you switch with?
A woman of color. I have white, male privilege I’m not even aware of in my life.
5. What do you love most about being you?
I don’t spend a lot of money.
6. Celebrity crush?
I have about 1000 crushes per day.
7. Any secret talents?
I can play the tuba.
8. What’s your spirit animal?
9. What was your childhood fear?
Coming home to see my grandfather dead on the floor.
10. Are you still afraid of it?
11. Favorite emoji?
I try to use my words since I’m a writer, but I love when other people use emoji’s. They always make me laugh. Especially this clown one my friend sends me.
12. What quality do all your friends have in common?
Curious, wanderers, and humble.
13. You can only dance to one song for the rest of your life, what song would it be?
Anything hip hop. I was all about Amine’s “Caroline” this summer.
14. Your go-to karaoke song?
I hate singing in public so I stand in the back.
15. What was your first acting gig?
Santa Claus, in 5th grade.
16. What’s your guilty pleasure?
Just discovered it’s toasted bagels with cream cheese.
17. Favorite food or fashion trend?
I really love high-end hip hop fashion and love garbanzo beans cooked with chipotle and sea salt. I’m gross.
18. What’s the worst thing you’ve eaten out of politeness?
19. Pet peeves?
I hate when grown men wear tank tops. It’s probably a childhood thing I should let go of by now.
20. Your life is made into a movie — what’s the title?
Always Room for a Second Chance
21. Who plays you?
I would demand it is me. I would even get buff for the role…. No I wouldn’t, who am I kidding?
22. Who is your acting inspiration?
I know too many talented people. I wish I knew less, so I could be less inspired and watch more cooking shows.
23. Best gift you ever received?
Hitting rock bottom. I hate this answer, but it’s true. I also love foot massages.
24. Best gift you’ve ever given?
Foot massages? I think I’m good at it. Think being the operative word. It’s amazing how kindness kills progress.
25. Coffee or tea?
TEA. ICED. ALWAYS.
26. How do you take it?
CAFFEINATED, SO I FEEL LIKE A GOD.
27. Favorite pizza toppings?
Mushrooms, olives, and onions.
28. What’s your kryptonite?
Pizza. Truly blackout when I eat it.
29. What movie would you love to see remade?
I, sadly enough, don’t watch very many movies.
30. If someone narrated your life, who would you want to be the narrator?
31. Wine or beer?
32. What would you name your wine or beer, if you had your own brand?
Olé Jerry’s California Tea.
33. If you could turn any activity into an Olympic sport, what would you have a good chance at winning medal for?
Cooking garbanzo beans.
34. Favorite app?
Not a phone guy.
35. Favorite color?
Blue? Green? Orange?
36. Are you an early bird or a night owl?
Early Bird. 5:30 am.
37. Favorite ways to give back to the community?
Teach kids. Recycle. Ask for no straws at restaurants.
38. Best advice you have ever received?
Don’t give advice, don’t take advice.
39. Advice you would give your 10-year-old past self?
I don’t give advice.
40. Advice you would give your 90-year-old future self?
I would never listen to it.
41. Whoops! You’re on death row — what’s your last meal?
I love “Whoops!” As if it’s like I left the light on in the kitchen over night, but instead I murdered a family with a chainsaw and then ate them all and then went to the gym because I was feeling fat, and then murdered more people at the gym and all of this is now streaming on FB live…. Anyways, lasagna with no meat.
42. Last thing you ordered online?
A book about the artist Wayne White
43. Best name for a dog?
I love the name of my brother’s dog, “Buckles.”
44. Best name for a cat?
My current cat’s name is “Murphy Pancake.”
45. What has someone borrowed from you but never given back?
“On Writing” by Stephen King
46. Favorite book?
Too hard for me to pick.
47. What did you take away from that book?
I am a slow reader.
48. What’s the title of the current chapter of your life?
What It Means to Be a Mature Man
49. What would the box with all your hopes and dreams inside look like?
That box has already been opened.
50. What’s the theme song to your life?
This is true, I only discovered music a year and a half ago… I’m still learning.
51. Earliest memory?
Great Grandma having a stroke on the front porch. The weird thing is I smelled toast. Aren’t they supposed to smell the toast? WTF?
52. Pick a superpower?
Fly. And something where the more pizza I eat, the more abs I grow.
53. Most expensive thing you’ve broken?
Car accidents. Tons of them.
54. Favorite way to stay in shape?
55. What’s on your workout playlist?
I talk to myself.
56. Do you think salsa is better as a dip or a dance?
I call salsa “tomato dip.”
57. If you had to describe yourself as an ice cream flavor, what would it be?
I haven’t had ice cream in a long while. I stopped with the sugar except birthdays and weddings.
58. What is something you think everyone should do at least once in their lives?
Have a dream where they watch themselves die.
59. How do you spend a lazy day?
I don’t do lazy days unless I MUST. It’s a childhood thing.
60. Next vacation destination?
Vietnam (fingers crossed.)
61. What’s most special about the place you grew up?
Diversity in race and money.
62. What did you believe for way too long as a child?
I’d own a minivan.
63. If you built a themed hotel, what would the theme be?
The old South, but NO SLAVERY!!!
64. Should the toilet paper roll hang over or under?
Under. A ghost once unraveled my uncle’s T.P.. The ghost is cool though.
65. Cake or pie?
I have had cake that is in the umami category. Damn, if I don’t like a strawberry rhubarb pie, though.
66. What’s your life motto?
Just take the action; leave the rest to God.
67. Where does the Sorting Hat put you? Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff or Slytherin?
I want to be Slytherin, because I want to be successful, but I keep getting Gryffindor on the tests.
68. What movie makes you laugh the hardest?
Marx Brothers and the moment in The Master where Joaquin Phoenix breaks the toilet in prison.
69. Doing what makes you feel accomplished?
Waking up early and working out. WRITING, WRITING, WRITING, WRITING, WRITING, WRITING.
70. What’s the most ridiculous thing you’ve convinced someone of?
Oooof. This is too dark. But no one got physically hurt and it wasn’t illegal.
71. What are you most grateful for?
I thought this said, “favorite fart.” I’m grateful for my two brothers.
72. What question would you most like to know the answer to?
Will I have a daughter?
73. What can fans expect next from Jared Nigro?
Hopefully, a TV show.
You can catch Jared Nigro at The Groundlings Theater in Los Angeles, California. With alumni like Will Ferrell, Melissa McCarthy, Lisa Kudrow, and Jon Lovitz, our friend is in good company when he steps onto the improv and sketch comedy stage. “Hopefully, a TV show” is more than just hope. With talent like Jared’s, a TV show seems inevitable.
If you could share the spotlight with Mr. Nigro, what kind of story would you tell? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
— Mary & The Team At Eat! Be Mary!
Answers To Our Social Media Quiz: Sleeping Beauty, Kung Fu Panda, 12 Angry Men